Lentils have incredible health benefits. They are heart healthy containing high levels of folate and magnesium. They help stabilize blood sugar levels and lower cholesterol levels due to the high fiber content. They are high in iron and B vitamins, and are packed with protein. In fact they contain the third highest level of protein than any other plant food. This is a classic peasant food perfect for a cool fall evening.
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- ½ rutabaga, diced
- 1 leek, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 1 whole onion cut in half
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium saucepan, add the carrots, rutabaga and leeks and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and set aside.
- Place the 4 cups of water, lentils, onion and garlic cloves in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the carrot mixture and simmer until the lentils are almost tender.
- Remove from heat and discard the onion halves and drain the lentils. Place in a medium size serving dish.
- Whisk together the remaining ¼ cup olive oil, mustard, vinegar, herbs de Provence, parsley, salt and pepper. Add to the lentils and stir well and serve. These are delicious warm or cold.