Summer is the season for fresh berry desserts! This recipe calls for blackberries but any mix of berries is fine. The coconut crust provides a delicious gluten free alternative to the traditional pastry crust and instead of baking in a pie pan; this is made in a 9 by 13 pan which makes it easier to serve.
Ingredients (Coconut Crust):
- 3 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup coconut oil or butter
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg (you can omit the egg but it won’t hold together as well)
- 6 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- ¾ cup water
- ½ to ¾ cup honey (the amount varies depending on the sweetness of the blackberries)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions (Coconut Crust):
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Gently warm the coconut oil to soften it, mix in the coconut flakes, chopped pecans, honey and vanilla extract.
- Beat egg and pour into mixture. Blend well together.
- Press into a 9 by 13 pan pressing mixture on the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saucepan combine water, blackberries, honey and cinnamon and bring to a gentle simmer. Mix cornstarch with the ¼ cup water. Add the cornstarch and water mixture, and simmer for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour into pre-baked coconut crust (see directions above) and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Cool before serving.