This is a healthier twist on the classic, antioxidant rich, Pumpkin Pie recipe. We substituted raw organic honey for the refined sugar, used organic eggs and even increased the spices! In the crust we made it “foolproof” by adding an organic egg yolk and substituted one cup of the flour with organic whole wheat flour for added nutrients and fiber.
Enjoy this holiday dessert knowing it is not only pleasing but deeply nourishing.
- 1 can (15 ounces) organic pumpkin
- ½ cup raw honey
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 organic eggs
- 1 can (5 ounces) organic evaporated milk
- ½ cup organic whole milk
- In a bowl combine the pumpkin, honey, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Add the eggs, evaporated milk and whole milk. Stir well to combine.
- Pour into prepared pie crust. Recipe following.
- Cover the edges with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. I removed the foil 10 minutes before it was done to allow it to brown nicely.
Whole Wheat Pie Crust:
(Makes 2 single crusts)
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour
- 1 cup organic white flour
- 10 tablespoons organic salted butter, chilled
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 to 6 tablespoons water, ice cold
- Place the flour in a large bowl and add the butter. Cut butter in with a pastry blender until the mixture has the texture of very coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and add the egg yolk beaten with 5 tablespoons of very cold water.
- Combine, adding more water if necessary. It is important not to add too much water!
- I divide the dough unequally making one ball larger to line the bottom of my deep 9 inch pie pan. Roll out to 1/8 inch thick and ease into the pie pan making a decorative edge.
- With the remaining dough you can garnish the top with leaf cut outs or make, what we call “do-funnies”. This is left over pastry dough brushed with butter and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. Bake at 375 degrees until lightly brown 15 to 20 minutes.