Roaming around one of the many local farmers markets close to Venice Beach, I discovered an extraordinary vegetable very new to me called a Lemon Cucumber. It had the looks of a round squash, the color of a lemon and the taste, texture and smell of a cucumber. My first thought ”this is so cool, I have to get one” second thought, how does the woman selling these exotic cucumbers prepare them?
She kindly explained to me that in Mexico it is common to cut the cucumber into disks, squirt with lime and sprinkle with hot pepper. This simple and traditional recipe idea sent my mind into a play land of infinite creative possibilities. Since I only bought one to try out I knew I’d have to hone in on one solid idea so with the inspiration of mexican flair simmering in my mind I had a sudden spark for ceviche!
With my sudden spark and excitement I scurried into my kitchen and got to chopping! I just knew this dish was going to be extraordinary once executed!
I’m thrilled to report that the dish was indeed a total success with only one major mistake not having bought more of these lemon cucumbers to have made another batch immediately after we devoured the dish.
- 1 large heirloom tomato, chopped
- 1 large lemon cucumber, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 fresno pepper, minced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 lemon juice, juiced
- 1/4 tsp grey sea salt
- 1 tsp mango honey
- 1 ear freshly boiled corn
- 4 stems spring onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/8 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- Chop all vegetables into small cubes and place them in a glass bowl or shallow pie dish.
- Combine the lemon and the lime juice with sea salt, red chili pepper flakes and honey, whisk and pour on top of veggies.
- Add spring onions and cilantro.
- Mix together and serve with baby fresh romaine leaves or tortilla chips.
- *I garnish my dish with dehydrated onion rings and fresh lime curls.*
For my next experiment I would love to try these delicious cucumbers in my juicer. Hoping the farmer will have them again on Sunday!
Happy hunting for fresh fun finds at your local farmers markets!
P.S. I’d love to hear from you in the comments area… let me know what you’ve made with these cucumbers, what you plan to make or your favorite farmers market find?
Christina Ross is a dynamic chef, educator, columnist and blogger who loves to have her hands in all areas of healthy eating and healthy living. She has made it her mission to spread happiness and health to the masses and does so through her raw vegan food company PatisseRaw, blog Love-Fed.com, column in Natural Child World Magazine and classes taught privately and publicly at Whole Foods Markets. Christina is currently in the works of publishing her first cookbook and in the meantime she has shared some of her energizing, creative and fun recipes and wisdom with us.