This Mediterranean style salad provides a plentiful array of health benefits! The oranges are an excellent source of vitamin C and flavonoids. The addition of olives provides monounsaturated fats and are rich in vitamin E, along with polyphenols and flavonoids, which have anti-inflammatory properties. Thyme has a long history of use in natural medicine and has been used to treat respiratory and digestive problems. Red onions contain the flavonoid quercetin, which studies have shown to be useful in helping to prevent cancer and reduce symptoms of cardiovascular disease. This can also be served this over a bed of lettuce.
Makes 6 servings
- 3 oranges, peeled and sliced in rounds
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 ounces pitted kalamata olives
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra- virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- In a small jar combine: salt, pepper, olive oil, vinegar and thyme. Shake to blend.
- Arrange the sliced oranges in a single layer on serving platter. Top with a thinly sliced red onion and place an olive in the center of each orange round.
- Drizzle the dressing over the top and garnish with a few fresh sprigs of thyme.