This Holiday Season when you desire a special breakfast cake, look no further than this delicious, hearty, organic coffee cake. Not only will it meet your needs for something “special” for breakfast, but it provides nutrition from whole grains, oats and nuts without being too sweet. This is a light, flavorful, nutritious coffee cake.
Makes 9 to 12 servings
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup organic whole wheat flour
- ½ cup organic white flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup organic rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¾ cup finely chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, or almonds)
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9 inch square baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and then beat in the sour cream, maple syrup, oil and vanilla.
- In another bowl combine the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Put the oats in a blender or food processor and pulse until reduced to a coarse meal. Stir into dry ingredients.
- Make the nut topping by melting the butter in a saucepan, add the maple syrup, nuts and coconut.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry; stir to just blend.
- Scrape batter into the prepared pan.
- Spoon the nut mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the center of the cake is springy to the touch.