Most dogs have allergies to wheat, and from what I’ve heard wheat is actually bad for your dog. These wheat free dog treats are perfect for any type of dog. They are healthy and delicious; I think I’ve eaten more than my dog! You can make any types of shapes you prefer, in this recipe the treats are shaped as hearts and stars. Also, it’s a whole lot less than buying wheat free dog treats at your local store, plus when you make your own, you know there aren’t any harmful additives.
Makes 45 dog treats
- 1 organic medium sweet potato
- ½ cup organic peanut butter
- ½ cup cooking liquid from sweet potato
- 1 cup organic brown rice flour
- 1 cup organic oat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel the sweet potato and cut into ½ inch pieces. In a pan filled with 2 cups waters, boil the sweet potatoes until soft. Reserve the cooking liquid and set aside.
- In a large bowl mash the sweet potatoes. Then add ½ cup of the cooking liquid, and ½ cup peanut butter. Mix until well blended.
- Next mix together the baking powder, brown rice flour, and oat flour in a small bowl. Then add to the sweet potato mixture, and mix until the dough comes together.
- Lightly flour your work surface with either brown rice flour or the oat flour. Roll the dough out about ¼ inch thick. Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter, (hearts and stars are sweet). Place the treats on a cookie sheet- It’s ok to have the treats close together they won’t stick to each other.
- Bake the treats for 20-30 minutes until golden brown or slightly hard. The treats will crisp as they cool.