Now’s the perfect time to mix up a warm cup of winter squash soup for the fall season, specially for the nutritional value it contains. Pumpkin has many nutrients including; Vitamin A, C, potassium, zinc, and helps with depression. Winter Squash contains fiber, Vitamin A, C, potassium, and calcium. It also contains beta-carotene which helps fight against, cancer, heart disease, and cataracts.
When scooping out the seeds make sure to save them, to bake and enjoy later! Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of protein, in just 1 ounce pumpkin seeds contain 7 grams of protein. They are also a rich source of essential fatty acids, which helps with arthritis, cancer, and high blood pressure; they also promote healthy skin and improve brain power. Having a cup of pumpkin seeds per day can help prevent appearance of wrinkles and will keep your skin hydrated and nourished. Now that you know the health benefits of pumpkin seeds, do you think it will make you think twice before throwing them away? I know I will save them from now on! Enjoy them while preparing this delicious soup.
- 1 organic sugar pie pumpkin, 4-5 pounds
- 2 organic winter squash
- ¼ cup minced organic yellow onion
- 3 tablespoon organic olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 5 cups organic vegetable broth
- ¼ cup organic tofu medium firm
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash the pumpkin and squash and cut them in half. Scoop out the seeds and stringy parts. Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil and put the pumpkin and squash cut side down on the foil. Bake for about an hour, until they are soft. Let cool. Scrape the cold pumpkin and squash out of their skin. Mash it with a potato masher until smooth.
- Peel and mince the onion. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan and cook the onions over low heat until they’re soft. Add the broth and turn up the heat to medium. Heat until it just starts to simmer. Add the salt, white pepper, nutmeg, ginger, and maple syrup and stir. Add the pumpkin and squash mix a little bit at a time, stirring. When everything is mixed together and heated through, pour the mixture into a vita mixture (if you don’t have one use a blender) and blend until smooth, then add the tofu and blend again tell everything is mixed and smooth. Serve at once and enjoy!