Over time, our bodies can start to be brought down by the toxins, chemicals, and waste that build up in our systems. Be it from external, environmental factors (like pollution or natural exposure to toxins) or something wrong internally (such as a poor immune system or consumption of unhealthy foods), it’s important to maintain your health by pulling these toxins out of the body.
Upon searching for “detox” information, you’ll come across nearly 56 million webpages, many which argue passionately for their own detox or diet plan. Let’s skip the sales pitch and find out some simple principles of detoxing, shall we?
When it comes to detoxing, it’s important that the modern nonthreatening, catch-phrase use of the term doesn’t undermine the necessity to look at the situation seriously: detoxification involves altering the chemical balance of the body, and because of that, you want to be sure you approach the act with safety in mind. Without involving ourselves with expensive detox products or 12-step programs, here are some simple principles for detoxing the natural way:
Fluidity is Key
First things first: fluidity is key! When it comes to detoxifying the body, you want to provide the body with a simple, seamless route for excavation. By and large, removing the waste and toxicity through fluids is the most promising. (Some argue in favor of “sweating it out”, but this will require keeping hydration levels high as well!). Keep these things in mind:
- Eight 8-oz glasses/day – The normal recommendation is to drink up to eight 8-oz glasses per day. This is quite a bit of water, but it provides the body with just its basic needs for growth, maintenance, and proper health. When detoxing, it’s important to get this and more!
- Be Strategic – When it come to getting enough fluids, be strategic in your approach. Keep water where you send most of your time, mix up your intakes sources (juice, iced tea, coconut water), and consider setting a timer to get you drinking every few hours.
- Hydrate through Foods – Of course, you also want to get plenty of water from your foods. Foods like celery are great for getting nutrition along with hydration – make them a part of your hydrating regimen! Check out the citruses and apples in mind, too!
Sustaining a Healthy Body
When it comes to detoxing, be sure to keep in mind that you are what you eat. It’s actually quite likely you’re feeling groggy, weakened, and frustrated because of the food you’ve been eating. That being said, the next time in detoxing naturally is to supply yourself with the nutrients you need to get full nourishment. Follow these simple tips for better eating:
- Quit the Bad – To start, stop eating the bad foods you’re eating right now! Ward yourself away from processed, refined foods and sugary, non-nutritious ‘meals’ that so often stock the shelves at our local stores. This is also your chance to do some digging with your favorite brands and find out if that snack of yours is contributing to your poor feelings.
- Eat Whole – In replacement of these incomplete foods, start supplying yourself with whole, nutritious foods. Going organic is also the best choice, as the pesticides and chemicals found in artificial fertilizers may be contributing your poor health. Also, avoid GMO foods altogether. With the considerably controversy behind these foods, as well as the adamant stance of companies to not allow testing or labeling, GMO foods cannot be considered safe.
- Increase the Raw – Eating more raw food can also be your ticket to better health. As they say, if you cook it, you kill it. Raw foods are more nutritious, have fewer carcinogens, and can help you push out the toxins currently in your body.
- More Greens – Finally, eat more greens! Getting a few extra servings of fruits and veggies is probably something you need to do anyways, so take your detox as the first opportunity to really implement this change.
- Stretch it out – With simple stretches, you can improve your digestion system, circulation, and energy level. Take time everyday to sit down, relax, and stretch out the bad that has been building up.
Having a Healthy Body
The best part of following these principles is that you can continue to do this even after you’ve detoxed. This regimen is actually the perfect recipe for better sustained health all around. Having a healthy, whole body doesn’t have to be an extreme challenge that only the food gurus can overcome – make it simple and make it successful!