Using left over cans or even ice cream containers is a great way to upcycle by planting seeds to grow your own herbs, flowers, or vegetables. It also looks very attractive and almost has a “vintage” feel to it.
What you will need:
- Left over cans
- Organic dirt
- Organic seeds or plants of your choosing
- Nail and hammer
Planting the seeds:
- Take the can(s) and using the nail and hammer make 3 holes in the bottom of each can; this lets the water drain.
- Put a few rocks inside the can (enough to cover the bottom).
- Add your dirt to the can(s) and fill it up almost to the top.
- Plant your seeds in each can and watch your seeds grow into a beautiful plant! (Don’t forget to water them!)
Hint: If you are using a plant instead of seeds follow the same steps for planting seeds. When you add the dirt, only fill the can(s) about half way full so you have room to plant, then add more dirt if needed.
Originally posted April 20, 2011