This recipe makes 2 large servings or 4 small. It can be easily doubled.
- 1 cup leeks cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup Russet potatoes cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium apple such as Golden Delicious and Jonagold peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 5 cups water
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger root
- ¾ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- Place cut vegetables, apples, bay leaf, salt and water into a large pot and bring to a simmer. Cook until tender.
- Remove the bay leaf, apples and vegetables being sure to reserve the broth to add back later.
- Puree the apples and vegetables, not the bay leaf.
- Put the pureed mixture back into a pot and add the reserved broth to make a thick “soup” consistency.
- Add the coriander, pepper, and additional salt if needed.
- Heat through until hot.
- In a small bowl combine the parsley, minced garlic and olive oil.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and add a tablespoon (or more) of the parsley mixture and swirl!