In Italy, a sauce should never overwhelm the taste of the pasta or dish; instead, it should only complement it. Here’s a quick recipe for a simple and healthy homemade pasta sauce. It combines fresh basil, garlic, Roma tomatoes, and the spices of Italy. Enjoy!
- 6-8 cloves organic garlic, thinly sliced
- ½ chopped white onion (optional)
- 2 teaspoons organic dried oregano
- Handful fresh organic basil, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 6-7 large Organic Roma tomatoes
- ¼ cup, 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- In medium pot, boil water. Add tomatoes for roughly 1 minute or until skin begins to peel. Quickly remove and add to ice water. Peel skins and blend tomatoes in a food processor or by hand for a chunkier alternative.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Once oil begins to shimmer, add onion, garlic, salt, and dried oregano. Stir until flavors are well-blended, but do not let garlic darken. Add in tomatoes and crush down any large piece with a fork. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes to an hour. Once completed, mix into pasta. Add whole basil leaves as garnish and/or stir in chopped basil.
- Can the extra sauce and save for next time!